From "Bill Barnhill" <wbarn...@twcny.rr.com>
Subject Re: IFrame portlet code & changes needed to get JSP Layout Mgr+Working customizer
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:33:22 GMT
Thanks David,

I've got some questions and answers for you:

> I guess the getContent method could've used a template, perhaps a future
> enhancement...
Hmm, I'm not actually sure what you mean here by a template, can you
explain?

> Btw - please don't use tabs in your editor.

Will do. Any recommendations on editors? I'm working on a win2k sp 2 system
and have used gvim, Programmer's notepad, nedit, and Jedit. So far I like
Jedit best, but I'll have to see if it has a insert spaces instead of  tab
characters feature. Also is there a convention on # of spaces for
indentation?
I'll recheck the web site, I seem to remember something about coding styles.

> Glad to hear that you want to get involved. Welcome !
Thanks, I appreciate the nice welcome.

> > - Image tab control that creates a box of  9 TD elements for
> > each Tab, like so
> >         xxx    where right now there is only one TD for each tab
> >         xCx
> >         xxx
> >         each TD in the box surrounding the content would have a
> >         background image based on the skin name, the tab skins
> >         path property, an image extension,and the TD box.
> >
> I like the idea. Why do you need 9 TDs per tab?
My original idea only had 3 (left, middle, right), but a while ago I did
some work using another product called DynaAPI and created a table based
image frame whose size changed with the content or with the window size.  I
was thinking that if you make the box with 9 graphics then it doesn't matter
what size the center content box is, you can still make a box to go around
it. If you do 3 then you're fixed at a certain height.  After thinking about
it I think I'll do a ImageTab3Control and an ImageTab9Control, that way the
user can choose which one they want to use. Come to think of it, a mechanism
to create a image based border around a portlet(-set?) would be cool. I'll
add it to my list of things to do after I get my current plate cleared,
unless someone else wants to do that one?

> Do you know if we can we use Flash in open source?
I think we can use .swf and .fla files as long as the individual files are
APL'd by their creators.  I don't know if we can distribute a Flash player.
I doubt it, but then I wouldn't think we'd need to.

Check out http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing
For the details.

One possibility that would be cool is if we could use
http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/index.html
but before I did that I would need someone with more experience than me to
check out his license and make sure it was compatible with APL:
http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/JavaSWF2-BSD.LICENSE.html

> Try to put this into a more formal proposal for the group to read.
> Nothing that fancy, see the /proposals directory in the cvs for
> examples.
> Then send it to both the jetspeed-dev and jetspeed-user lists.
Will do once I get Tab and title controls done.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Bill