From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Starting point for newbie
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:38:49 GMT

On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:13 AM, laurent4x wrote:

> Hi ! Sorry I don't know if this is the right place to post,
>
> I posted a first question on jetspeed-user  list
>

> I come to this list for the developers side because my ultimate
> goal (after
> I achieve step 1 : having JS running on Glassfish) is to
>
> Integrate it with some custom full JEE app I'm working on who will use
> JetSpeed  for a whole part of his duties.
>

> So my question here is : can someone be kind enough to give a
> digest  about
> where to start from . ?

> Because , hum the documentation of the project is useful for those
> who are
> already used to work with jetspeed.

The documentation online is still valid
The online build documentation is targeted to new users but does
assume experience with Maven(1 or 2)
If you need to learn Maven, its best to learn from the docs on the
Maven site

> Beginners are left a little puzzled.
>
> So I am !

I guess the builds are not designed for newbies to Java or even Maven
There is a simpler Tutorial for Ant that I think is great starting
point for learning without having to learn Maven:

http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/docs/site/

> If you could give me the hints about what should be done and in
> which order
> to allow me to :
>
> -run JS on Glassfish.

I would recommend:

1. run the tutorial with Ant and Tomcat, get familiar it
2. then once you got that running, move it into Glassfish
Others have done so, see recent posts on this lists. The current docs
don't cover Glassfish yet, but you can help there by writing back
with your experiences

> -set my Eclipse or Netbeans project

Just create your portlet application like any other Eclipse or
Netbeans project
You don't need Jetspeed to compile portlet applications
And you shouldn't need to compile or build jetspeed
Try remote debugging to Tomcat at first, then you will see that
Jetspeed is simply a web application with a few typical requirements:

* a few shared jar files in the class loader
* a database connection that is configured in Tomcat in conf/Catalina/
localhost/jetspeed.xml

You don;t even have to use a JNDI based database connection. Simply
change Jetspeed's datasource.xml to use a DBCP based solution drop in
your driver to WEB-INF/lib, quite easy