From bhardage <bhard...@harding.edu>
Subject Re: Problem with preferences when upgrading Java with Jetspeed 2.0
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:12:31 GMT

David Sean Taylor-3 wrote:

> Can you query the database to see if the preferences are stored there?
> They will be under the PORTLET_PREFERENCE and PORTLET_PREFERENCE_VALUE
> tables in 2.2.
> In version 2.0, look under the PREFS_NODE and PREFS_PROPERTY_VALUE
> tables. Seems you might be using version 2.0 according to this email
> subject...
>
> Look in the Windows Registry (regedit). I don't run Windows, but I
> believe you can go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Javasoft/Prefs/
>
> and then under there you can find the system and user trees. Look for
> entries likes:
>
> /portlet_application/demo/portlets/BookmarkPortletForXHTMLBasic/
> preferences/Apache Home/size
>
> /user/devmgr/userinfo

Yes, you are correct.

It looks like the first time the server is started, registry keys are
created under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Javasoft/Prefs/portlet_application/ containing
what appears to be all my portlet preferences.

If I navigate to a portlet and make a preference change
(preferences.store()) I get the following warning:
"[org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl] WARN: No running tx
found, please only store in context of an PB-transaction, to avoid
side-effects - e.g. when rollback of complex objects" and the registry
values don't seem to be affected.

After stopping the server, I can see that both the PREFS_NODE and
PREFS_PROPERTY_VALUE tables have been left pretty much untouched.

However, after restarting the server, visiting that same page, and stopping
the server the second time, the PREFS_PROPERTY_VALUE table is still
untouched but the PREFS_NODE tables has several new rows whose NODE_NAME
fields correspond to the portlets on the page I visited (though the
preferences were not loaded when I visited the page).

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this information, but apparently
there's some sort of inconsistency between reading/storing the preferences
in the registry versus the database between server starts.

Thanks so much for your help so far. I wonder if you would have any
suggestions on how I might track down the underlying problem.

Thanks,
B.J.