From "Amol Jakatdar" <amol.jakat...@compoze.com>
Subject RE: Solo window
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:58:23 GMT

Thanks Julie and Diego..

My question is not really about the consumer part of WSRP4J.

I want to use WSRP4J as a producer. Since WSRP specification defines
solo window state, a compliant consumer will probably support it... But
that's not really my problem...

You can specify custom-window-states in JSR 168 portlet defination. So
if my portlet container implementation at the producer side supports
solo state, I may be able to use it.

So my question is: If I specify custom window state 'solo', will the
WSRP4J producer pass it forward to the consumer?
And: Lets say my consumer is an Oracle or BEA or Sun portal which may
support 10 other window states, is there a way to use a window state
that pluto is not aware of but my portlet and the consumer are and
WSRP4J+pluto will just pass it forward?

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie MacNaught [mailto:jmacna@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 8:23 AM
To: wsrp4j-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solo window

A few words about the relationship between WSRP and JSR168:

WSRP defines a web services interface between a Consumer (portal) and
Producer (portlet host).  It says nothing about the implementation of
Consumers or Producers or Portlets.  JSR168 is an API between Portlets
and a Container.

So Pluto is an example of a JSR168 container, which means
JSR168-compliant portlets can be hosted there.  So, if you want to use a
portlet hosted by a WSRP Producer in a JSR168 container, you use the
Proxy Portlet.  This is a JSR168-compliant portlet that will make web
service calls to a portlet hosted on a remote WSRP Producer.

So you can't really use the solo window state if you are using a JSR168
container, because there is no way to get the container to tell the
portlet to have a solo window state.

If you write your own Consumer, then you can use the solo window state
like any other window state.