From "Mitchell, Wes" <Wes.Mitch...@broadvision.com>
Subject RE: Fwd: PortletRequset.USER_INFO attribute
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:28:50 GMT
The JSR 168 spec pretty deliberately stays away from specifying much about
how information about users is obtained, beyond that small amount from
the servlet spec. So it's not real surprising that the pluto reference
implementation wouldn't have this, since they don't really have much of
a model for users.

You might note a similar thing about user preferences, the spec doesn't say
much beyond that they can be specified in a portlet.xml or manipulated
programmatically through a portlet API, but doesn't say how they can be
stored, etc.

For our product, we modified PortletRequestImpl.getAttribute() to return
a map when the attribute key is "javax.portlet.userinfo". This map we
construct
from our own user profile database tables. As noted by others, this is
intrinsic to the calling portal.

Wes Mitchell  Principal Architect

BroadVision, Inc. wes.mitchell@broadvision.com

585 Broadway

Redwood City, CA 94063

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify us immediately.