From Diego Louzán <diegolou...@metalicana.org>
Subject Re: HelloWorld
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:52:42 GMT
     For a good introduction to what WSRP is you should read the «WSRP Primer».
You can find it in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/9165/wsrp-primer-1.0-draft-0.9.pdf.
This document should resolve most of your doubts.
     To put it simple, WSRP is **totally independent** of JSR-168 (although
WSRP is conceived for easy integration with JSR-168). The communication that
WSRP enforces is through SOAP protocol between a Consumer and a remote
Producer, the two of them implementing the WSRP interfaces. But the backend of
portlets is not imposed, it could be a JSR-168 compliant portal (the usual
case) or a propietary solution.
     In the case of WSRP4J, the backend is a JSR-168 portlet container, which
is Pluto. The Consumer is a JSR-168 portlet (ProxyPortlet) that translates the
calls of the Portlet API to similar ones in WSRP API. The Producer runs an Axis
SOAP receiver that gathers the WSRP calls and translates them to actual calls
to Portlet API. In the Producer you create your own Portlets (implementing
GenericPortlet) and once deployed they are accesible to any Consumer that
registers with the Producer. But keep in mind this is particularly WSRP4J.
There are other WSRP solutions that work differently.

Regards.
Diego.

Durfee, Bernard wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>  This is exactly the dialog that I am looking for. I really want to understand what WSRP4J
is. From the overview documentation it looks like WSRP4J provides two things...

> 1) A WSRP producer implementation that translates between a consumer (e.g. portal) talking
WSRP and a portlet talking JSR-168.

> 2) A WSRP consumer implementation that translates between a portal talking JSR-168 and
a portlet talking WSRP.

> ...so if I want to create a 'Hello World' portlet, I would implement a GenericPortlet.
Now I can add my portlet to a portal directly or expose it to the world as a WSRP producer
by using WSRP4J. Then I can register the WSRP4J consumer with my portal, point it at the WSRP4J
producer and now my portlet can run remotely with WSRP4J handling the SOAP communication.

> So really WSRP4J is more of a two part deployment tool. It allows JSR-168 portlets to
be exposed as WSRP services and for WSRP services to be deployed as JSR-168 portlets. But
ultimately my portlet, whether it talks JSR-168 or WSRP doesn't know about WSRP4J. WSRP4J
just facilitates the communication between portals and portlets. Does that sum it up?