From "Durfee, Bernard" <Bernard.Dur...@suny.edu>
Subject RE: HelloWorld
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:18:50 GMT
Hi Diego,
 This is exactly the dialog that I am looking for. I really want to understand what WSRP4J
is. From the overview documentation it looks like WSRP4J provides two things...

1) A WSRP producer implementation that translates between a consumer (e.g. portal) talking
WSRP and a portlet talking JSR-168.

2) A WSRP consumer implementation that translates between a portal talking JSR-168 and a portlet
talking WSRP.

...so if I want to create a 'Hello World' portlet, I would implement a GenericPortlet. Now
I can add my portlet to a portal directly or expose it to the world as a WSRP producer by
using WSRP4J. Then I can register the WSRP4J consumer with my portal, point it at the WSRP4J
producer and now my portlet can run remotely with WSRP4J handling the SOAP communication.

So really WSRP4J is more of a two part deployment tool. It allows JSR-168 portlets to be exposed
as WSRP services and for WSRP services to be deployed as JSR-168 portlets. But ultimately
my portlet, whether it talks JSR-168 or WSRP doesn't know about WSRP4J. WSRP4J just facilitates
the communication between portals and portlets. Does that sum it up?

Bernie Durfee

-----Original Message-----
From: Diego Louzán [mailto:diegolouzan@metalicana.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 11:27 AM
To: wsrp4j-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: HelloWorld

     Mmm, don't know exactly what do you want. There are two posibilities:

* If you mean creating a new WSRP Producer implementation, this is way more
complicated than you explain. The communication between the Consumer and
Producer is through SOAP protocol, so in the Producer you have to configure a
SOAP receiver (in WSRP4J is Axis) that decodes the xml communication to actual
calls on the Java classes. The class that receives this calls is, as you
mention, the WSRPEngine, which in turn, delegates them to the implementation
you are giving (the pluto implementation classes in WSRP4J). You should
implement a new producer and register it in configuration files (mainly you
would have to edit producer/war/WEB-INF/classes/WSRPServices.properties in
WSRP4J cvs distribution).

* If you mean deploying the WSRP4J Producer in a web container to expose some
portlets and then configure the WSRP4J ProxyPortlet as a Consumer in a portal
implementation, then you can follow the very excellent instructions given by
Warwick Bailey in another post of this thread. This alternative is much easier. :-)

     As you mention, there's a Producer interface in package
org.apache.wsrp4j.consumer, but this is an interface to track the different
Producers a Consumer can be attached in a given moment (it's easy to understand
that a consumer can be consuming resources from different producers). In the
producer package there isn't a Producer interface because there is only one
producer: the implementation you are giving. You should take a look to
ProxyPortlet code to understand this.

Regards.
Diego.