From Manish Gupta <manish_gupt...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Concerns about WSRP
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:10:49 GMT

From: Ridwan Habbal <ridwanhabbal@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Concerns about WSRP
To: wsrp4j-user@portals.apache.org
Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 1:47 AM

#yiv2006507513 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;padding:0px;}
#yiv2006507513 {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}

Hello Manish,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. you have the right not to understand the forth point,
I don't know why i mix words together sometimes. Threre you are the correction:

It seems that the portal server that hosts the portlet should also be exposed for end-user
interactions since WSRP only manage markup fragments (html my case), but usually downloads
are not done through portal!

In other words, usually when you call a url from a portal you call something like http://portal_ip_address:portal_port/portal_app_name
and this would each portlet to generate markup fragments, probably html, and portal would
aggregate them as one html page.

However when we want to perform downloads, either for files generated dynamically such as
exporting data to excel, or static data like images, we call a different pattern of urls,
it would be actually such http://portlet_ip_address:portlet_port/portlet_app_name (ofcourse
portlet_ip could be portal_ip, similarly to the port) and this would call a servlet with http
request & response. As you know this is due to the need to change the MIME type of the
response from html to some binary.

Now, this won't be a problem sine end-user interacts directly with the server that hosts both
portlet and the portal. In WSRP situation, the portlet won't be on the same server the end-user
interacts. So the question should the host server that contains portlet exposed via WSRP,
should that server be exposed for network access by end user? cause i guess the user that
way calls portlet directly not through portal.

Now, plz let me ask you for further assistance, I see that https://portal.dev.java.net/ is
the parent project of https://wsrp.dev.java.net and project https://portlet-container.dev.java.net
so what i understand is that https://portal.dev.java.net/ a whole portal project, and the
other two projects are just portlet container, and the second is to produce and consume portlets
via WSRP. so in case I would like to use the whole portal i would use https://portal.dev.java.net/ and
all it's sub-projects. However if my ultimate goal is merely to expose some portlets deployed
on tomcat to be available to WebSphere via WSRP, then i just need to use https://portlet-container.dev.java.net to
host portlet, and https://wsrp.dev.java.net to expose my portlet through WSRP.

Final question, should i do any change my portlet code, or the portlet would stay the same
whether it's accessed normally (by the hosting portal) or by WSRP. I guess i just need to
add some glue code for the WSRP producer.

Sorry this a long email, but i would be thankful to get a response from you. Others are of-course
invited. :)

Regards

Ridwan