From Diego Louzán <diegolou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Termination of the WSRP4J incubator project
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:00:21 GMT
+1

El 09/04/2010, a las 00:01, Ate Douma escribió:

> Dear Portals PMC and Portals community members,
>
> The WSRP4J incubator project has been dormant for several years already.
> The last commit dates back almost 2 years ago, the last emails send to the user/dev mailing
list even longer than that.

> An important activity blocker for the Portals committers has been the unclear situation
with the possible IP issue.
> That issue has finally been addressed sometime last year and no longer holds a lock on
further progress for the project.

> However, although there is known interest in a proper WSRP implementation within Apache
Portals, especially when integrated with the Jetspeed-2 Portal, it looks like the WSRP4J project
itself lost its momentum, its active committers and its community.

> The facts are: the current WSRP4J code base is now too outdated: based on also outdated
Pluto 1.x and targeting the WSRP v1.0 spec while the WSRP v2.0 spec is available already for
almost 2 years now.

> If a proper WSRP implementation is wished for, it should now implement the v2.0 spec
and should be easy to integrate with (at least) current Jetspeed-2 Portal. Trying to revive
the WSRP4J project or even just reusing the outdated code-base for that purpose no longer
makes sense. More likely we'll start writing a new WSRP (v2.0) producer from scratch within
the Jetspeed-2 project itself, and a generic WSRP consumer portlet application at Portals
Applications.

> As the Mentors of the WSRP4J project haven't been active in a long time either, the Portals
PMC as Sponsor of WSRP4J has taken over their responsibilities.