qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Getting accounts/karma set up
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:53:24 GMT
Now that we have a mailing list set up with (hopefully) all the
committers subscribed by now, the next step is to get svn accounts set
up.  So each committer should complete the following steps:

*NOTE for committers on other projects*
If you are already a committer on another Apache project, most of
these steps will not apply to you; *however*, please read step 1
closely and consider whether a) you have changed employers since
submitting your CLA, b) you would now be working on a project that
your employer might have a work-for-hire claim on and might not want
this IP licensed, and c) you actually thought about these things when
you submitted your CLA on the previous project.  Also, *please send me
your userid* so that I can make sure you get qpid karma.

1. Read and sign the individual CLA
(http://apache.org/licenses/icla.txt).  If you have an employer who
could possibly have any work-for-hire claim on your IP (usually the
case with a company that does any business remotely related to the
IP), be sure to show them the CLA, particularly section 5, and
describe the scope of the project.  Better yet, have your employer
sign a corporate CLA (http://apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt) to
make it very clear that they are willing to license their IP, as
contributed to the ASF by you.  Having an explicitly signed corporate
CLA is generally a good thing for both the individual and the ASF
(this is, of course, not legal advice; each individual might want to
consider consulting their own personal attorney).

2. Fax in your individual CLA to the fax number listed on the form
(still required even if your employer signs a CCLA).  If applicable,
make sure your employer has faxed in their CCLA.

3. Check the ASF Secretary's web page to see when the CLA has been
received: http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html#unlistedclas.
This requires him to periodically grab dozens of faxes and manually
enter them into a registration file -- so please allow a week or two
for this to happen.

4. While waiting for step 3, send me an email with the following
template filled out with your info:
Preferred userid:         {id}
Full name:                {name}
Forwarding email address: {email}
Faxed in individual CLA:  {yes/no}  (this should usually be 'yes'
before bothering to send me this info)
CLA has been recorded:    {yes/no} (it's okay for this to be 'no' --
I'll just wait to see it recorded before sending in the account
request)

You can send this to me privately to reduce unnecessary noise and
potential email address harvesting.  I'll compile all the info and
send out account creation requests to the root folks, cc'ing the
qpid-private list (more on that later).  Choose any id you like
(within the typical character constraints) as long as it doesn't
conflict with something already listed in the CVS/SVN id column of
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html#cvs/svn-committers.  The
full name should match what you listed on your individual CLA.  The
forwarding email address is for emails sent to {id}@apache.org.  The
yes/no question about whether the CLA has been recorded is based on
whether you see your name listed at
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html#unlistedclas.

5.  While you're waiting for your account to be created, take a look
at some of the docs linked from http://apache.org/dev/, particularly
http://apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html.

Cliff