qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Kim van der Riet <kim.vdr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: maven
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:28:38 GMT
While the advantages of Maven seem clear, the question becomes:

a) How much effort will it take to implement Maven at this stage?
b) What is the risk of disruption to the development process if there
are hiccups?

If the answer to these questions is little effort, little risk, then it
seems to make sense to go ahead and make the change - if someone is
willing to do so. If the change involves significant effort and/or risk
of disruption, then I would also ask the following:

c) Does Maven bring any immediate advantages to the project that could
help it along?
d) Is the effort spent implementing Maven better spent elsewhere on the
project right now? There are still many holes and fixes that are
urgently needed, and would it not be better at this juncture to rather
concentrate on the "nuts and bolts" issues?
e) Is it wise to introduce another major system change at the same time
that we switch our source from 108 to Apache?

Given the general support for Maven and the advantages it brings, this
is not a question of "if" but of "when". Lets consider whether this is
in fact the best moment for such a change.

Kim