qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: QPID/HermesJMS
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:42:30 GMT
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:39 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> The point of the AMQP API is not that it is more efficient or less
> repulsive but that it more directly reflects the protocol. JMS has its
> model, which will be what the majority will be familiar with and use.
> AMQP has its own model so why not have an API that reflects that model
> more naturally?

I don't see "reflecting the protocol" as a goal for an API. I see
"making it easy for users to what they want" as the main goal.

There's no doubt that Qpid for java will include JMS + Qpid specific
stuff because qpid has features that JMS doesn't. The principal point of
debate is: will the qpid specific stuff provide alternative ways to do
what JMS does already, or  not?

I'm not saying it shouldn't. I'm asking: Why should it? What would be
different and better (for the user) about a native  Qpid equivalent of
JMS? I have some experience with the cost of testing, maintaining and
supporting duplicate APIs, I'm trying to understand what is the benefit
that outweighs it.

Cheers,
Alan.