qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "John O'Hara" <john.r.oh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fw: JMS like API for C++
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:05:44 GMT
This is really interesting.

Because there is IBM's XMS specification as well, which we politely asked if
we could use (given its a direct mapping of JMS API's to C++ API's). They
stated that they would liked to have helped but were not an a position to
sublicense the technology.  We also asked some people at Sun.

Once you have asked, and been declined, you cannot do.

One big thing about AMQP is that all the "intellectual property" around it
and QPID and iMatix's OpenAMQ is that it is being careful to stay
untainted.  It's the same reason I'm personally very uncomfortable with what
Mono is doing, no matter how cool it is.

On a different strand - there is also the fact that while JMS is obviously a
very important API for the Java community it makes a lot less sense in other
languages.  It's not even a great API to talk to middleware with, which is
why people using MQ series used the native Java binding for so long (and
still do).

So for C++, Python et al, why not do (dare I say this) a little bit better
than JMS?
A year ago, people would have called me a heretic for saying this, but look
at those people over at Spring proposing better ways to access messaging.
>From what I hear there is a lot of agreement with the sentiment.

I would assert that AMQP is cleaner than JMS; when we sort out the last
niggles in the exchange/queue/binding arrangement you will have a very nice
abstraction of middleware.  No one who have reviewed the spec dislikes that
setup.  Dare we surface it into the API?

I think yes - it makes a whole lot more sense to send a message to an
exchange than to send it to a destination.  And that's the way the internet
and postal services work too (you can give your parcel to DHL or FedEx or
whoever) and indeed stock exchanges.  What you don't do is give your parcel
directly to the destination address :-)

For Java there has to be JMS -- but why limit other languages?

Cheers
John