qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: maven
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:36:33 GMT
Steve Vinoski wrote:
> Not to start a protracted Maven war, but the benefits of Maven are
> many. In no particular order:
(I would not classify my last mail as an anti Maven mail)

> 1. Using it shows us as good Apache community citizens, as many new
> projects around here use it.
Ant is also Apache

> 2. Using the regular Maven directory structure enables new
> contributors to easily get up to speed.
> 3. It easily allows us to manage dependencies, which granted we
> currently have few of (though more than I initially thought), but that
> number will grow, for example as new persistence solutions are
> introduced.
Not for all our stuff today - issues around things like Mina
> 4. It enables us to easily produce snapshots and releases into the
> Apache repository so that other projects can be based on us.
> 5. It gives us simple set up for Eclipse and IntelliJ workspaces.
> 6. It gives us code coverage.
Not true, PMD, CheckStyle, etc integrations give us this
> 7. It gives us the ability to turn on code style checking at build
> time, assuming we want that someday (it's definitely got my vote).
Not a maven exclusive
> 8. We can easily pick up Maven plugins and use them at will, without
> having to write Ant targets or import specialized Ant task classes.
> 9. It makes creating distributions dead easy.
> 10. It's much faster and more scalable than Ant.
>
> I can come up with more good reasons if you like.
>
> Not to mention that the sooner we move to it, the less work it will
> be. If we wait, the code base will grow and just make it that much
> harder to move to a new build system and directory structure.
>
> IONA has a number of projects, both open source and company-internal,
> using Maven, and it's been working great for all of them. Given my
> long history and experience with software configuration management and
> build systems, I am generally skeptical of tools like Maven that come
> along and make lots of promises. However, my hat is definitely off to
> the Maven guys, it's a great system that delivers the goods.

I can point out that I introduced Maven to IONA, so yes I know the
benefits of Maven and I like it a LOT. So Steve I don't see this mail as
a war, just the practicalities of what I have to do to make the code
donation and move the project to Apache. I would like to complete this
process so that I can know the apache svn is correctly imported and we
can create a baseline build and make sure all is good. If we go
to Maven I want us to discuss the issues, and how we want it set up and
make sure that works for all.

For example, I want to see the impact on the dir structure and look if
we want to make the C++ make structure match for example,want to know
what we are going to do with Mina, etc... I don't think Maven is going
to solve all the issues, and want us to make sure the ones that is does
not we know how we are going to solve them.

Regards
Carl.