qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Release Process
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:54:40 GMT

That would be great, as soon as rajith has the release page on the wiki
let's outline what we need to
do to create a release the. I am keen to get a baseline release out so
that we have all walked through the
process, and have an easy way for others to work with us. (will the good
to learn the incubator ropes also)

Carl.

Bozhong Lin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently doing distribution/packaging setup work for CeltiXfire
> project, and make it to meeting Apache release requirement. If there
> is anything that I can help for Qpid in this area, I would be glad to
> do it. Where can I found this kind of task?
>
> Cheers,
> Bo
>
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>
>> Rajith,
>>
>> This looks like the place to start - are you going to put this up on
>> the wiki and create a page that
>> we can create the work into. I suggest that this be phase one, and
>> then sorting those into milestone
>> releases will be based on sign-up / discussion.
>>
>> Carl.
>>
>> Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I think, this is a good time for us to discuss and agree on a release
>>> mechanism that's agreeable to the Apache way.
>>> As per my observations from projects like Axis2, Synapse, Tuscany,
>>> Geronimo
>>> ...etc the release process is as follows.
>>>
>>> We start with milestone releases (M1, M2 ...Mx) until we graduate
>>> from the
>>> incubator.
>>> Once graduated we can start doing a couple of 0.9x releases before
>>> we hit
>>> the grand 1.0 release.
>>>
>>> Here is the typical setup for any release.
>>> Everything is decided based on a public voting on the list. (only
>>> binding
>>> votes are counted)
>>>
>>> Pre Release
>>> -------------------
>>> 1. Create a wiki page and start capturing the feature/bug fix list
>>> for the
>>> release
>>> 2. We can start a discussion thread and then come to a concensus on the
>>> final list
>>> 3. These items should be tracked by jira or other means (jira is
>>> preffered)
>>> 4. We can start a parallel thread on the release dates.
>>>
>>> Release Process,
>>> 1. We should do a code freeze and put out a release candidate (ex RC1)
>>> 2. We should allow a minimum of one week for people to test/check
>>> out the RC
>>> 3. If there are major issues maybe do a RC2 and follow the same process
>>> 4. If a majority is happy then we can do a code freeze and cut out a