qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: maven
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 22:38:08 GMT
Not to start a protracted Maven war, but the benefits of Maven are
many. In no particular order:

1. Using it shows us as good Apache community citizens, as many new
projects around here use it.
2. Using the regular Maven directory structure enables new
contributors to easily get up to speed.
3. It easily allows us to manage dependencies, which granted we
currently have few of (though more than I initially thought), but
that number will grow, for example as new persistence solutions are
introduced.
4. It enables us to easily produce snapshots and releases into the
Apache repository so that other projects can be based on us.
5. It gives us simple set up for Eclipse and IntelliJ workspaces.
6. It gives us code coverage.
7. It gives us the ability to turn on code style checking at build
time, assuming we want that someday (it's definitely got my vote).
8. We can easily pick up Maven plugins and use them at will, without
having to write Ant targets or import specialized Ant task classes.
9. It makes creating distributions dead easy.
10. It's much faster and more scalable than Ant.

I can come up with more good reasons if you like.

Not to mention that the sooner we move to it, the less work it will
be. If we wait, the code base will grow and just make it that much
harder to move to a new build system and directory structure.

IONA has a number of projects, both open source and company-internal,
using Maven, and it's been working great for all of them. Given my
long history and experience with software configuration management
and build systems, I am generally skeptical of tools like Maven that
come along and make lots of promises. However, my hat is definitely
off to the Maven guys, it's a great system that delivers the goods.

More details will be forthcoming as I progress my Maven work for Qpid.

--steve