qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To extend or not (was RE: QPID/HermesJMS)
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 07:06:13 GMT
Its maybe worth making a list of all the things which folks feel AMQP
could do one day which might not fit into the JMS API. Then folks can
ponder on whether or not a new API is required & what actually are the
real use cases when one might wish to avoid the JMS spec

On the ActiveMQ project we've extended the JMS spec in many ways
together with writing JMS-like APIs in C# and C++...
http://activemq.org/site/features.html
http://activemq.org/site/cross-language-clients.html

and so far found that so far we've been able to stick within the JMS
API apart from a few simple extensions here and there such as
http://activemq.org/site/jms-streams.html

Also within the JMS spec you can bend things to add optional extensions such as
http://activemq.org/site/structured-message-properties-and-mapmessages.html
http://activemq.org/site/virtual-destinations.html

So I'd recommend you figure out what are the use cases are first
before making decisions on what APIs to build. You might also be
surprised how much you can bend the JMS API to do what you need ;)

--

James
-------