qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject C++ coding standards
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:47:45 GMT
Is there a leading C++ coding style guide that predominates the open
source world?

Qpid C++ is at the point where it needs some formalization of style for
consistency's sake (i.e. it's now got more than 1 developer) and it's
still small enough that a wholesale change of style is conceivable, but
not very appetizing just for the fun of it.

I'm anticipating 2 possible outcomes to this question:

(Wishfully) I get a substantial majority of replies pointing towards one
well-known, well thought out, well-documented C++ style guide that's
followed by a long list of respectable projects. To me that would
justify the effort of reformatting qpid's current codebase.

(Probably) I'll get load of conflicting recommendations and long
taste-driven debates about under_scored_identifiers vs.
capitalizedIdentifiers at which point I'll filter it all to /dev/null,
document what we already do and get on with more interesting stuff.

I'm *really* hoping for the former, as I'd much rather adopt an existing
industrial strength style guide than write yet another flimsy,
half-assed, mickey-mouse guide for qpid. However I'm pessimistic based
on my observation that the only style that has some claim to being
"standard" (the STL/boost style) is also the only style I've *never*
seen used in *any* project other than STL/boost :( I'm hoping that's
just my blinkered closed-source upbringing and the open source world is
much more enlightened :)

Thanks in advance, setting spam filters on stun.

Cheers,
Alan.