qpid-dev mailing list archives

From James Antill <james.ant...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++ coding standards
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:57:23 GMT
On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 01:47 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> Is there a leading C++ coding style guide that predominates the open
> source world?
>
> Qpid C++ is at the point where it needs some formalization of style for
> consistency's sake (i.e. it's now got more than 1 developer) and it's
> still small enough that a wholesale change of style is conceivable, but
> not very appetizing just for the fun of it.
>
> I'm anticipating 2 possible outcomes to this question:
>
> (Wishfully) I get a substantial majority of replies pointing towards one
> well-known, well thought out, well-documented C++ style guide that's
> followed by a long list of respectable projects. To me that would
> justify the effort of reformatting qpid's current codebase.

 Given the total lack of consistency in C style, why would C++ be more
consistent?

 I'd also strongly suggest you read:

http://codecraft.info/index.php/archives/55/

...IMO if your project is as small as you suggest, you don't want
barriers to contributions. Wait until you become as big as the kernel or
glibc before pissing people off as much as they do. And I'm not saying
this is necessarily a bad thing, when you get large.
 Think of it this way, would you rather have X contributions or X*10
that you need/want to do minor fixups on ... the answer probably varies
on if X is in the 1-10 range or the 1,000-10,000 range.

--
James Antill - <james.antill@redhat.com>
setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_CONGESTION, ...);