qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Performance comparison for C++ and Java.
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:52:43 GMT
On 25/10/06, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> OK, some slightly saner performance results but still not seeing C++
> slowing down.

I have run the test and see very similar results to those I saw before.

> I built C++ optimized (-O3 -DNDEBUG), used java 1.6.0-beta2 with the
> flags below and ran the test 3 times against each server.

I built debug and optimised (just to make sure I saw a difference) and
debug was thankfully significantly slower than optimised.

I was seeing times of about 2400ms for 10 clients compared with about
750ms with Java.

I am running the Sun 1.6 build 102.

I wanted to see how both solutions scaled so did tests with increasing
numbers of clients, starting with a single client. The results were:

No clients   | CPP    |  Java
1                | 320     |  324
2                | 395     |  359
4                | 979     |  396
8                | 1912   |  625

What is your threading model? I know it will certainly be different
from the Java broker just because MINA uses what I believe (?) is an
unusual model for I/O - at least I haven't seen that model before. I
tried putting the number of I/O processor threads down to 1 on the
java and it slowed down by just under 50% - 8 clients was taking
890ms.

RG