qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Decoupled qpid marshallers...
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:01:39 GMT
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> I just wanted to let you guys know that as the first step for ActiveMQ to
> support the QPID protocol, I made a more decouple version of marshaling
> generators that qpid implemented.  You can find the work here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/sandbox/qpid

Looks good!

> Ideally It would be nice if qpid could maintain nicely decoupled marshaling
> package like this.  That way, ActiveMQ could just pick it up and use it.
> But it's not a big deal for us to maintain so if it's not picked up, it's
> not a big deal.

I agree and in fact the creation of libraries for the framing layer was
listed as a specific goal in the proposal.

We might need to consider a couple of variants. Some people will prefer
the DataInput/DataOutput interfaces, others will prefer ByteBuffers (and
the qpid client and broker will still prefer the Mina variant of that).

Apart from the encoding utils, most of the rest of the framing layer can
be generated, so maybe the generator templates could at some point offer
the option to target the different io APIs.

> Now that we can talk the talk.. it should not take long for ActiveMQ to
> directly support AMQP also.

That would be great. It will be valuable to get another view on the
mapping of JMS onto AMQP, and we can then look at standardising the grey
areas.