qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposed C++ style guide
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:04:44 GMT
Alan Conway wrote:
> With thanks to  Kim for finding it, I'd like to propose
>
> http://geosoft.no/development/cppstyle.html
>
> As the style guide for QPID C++ with the exception that Qpid continue to
> use the .cpp file extension rather than .c++ It's not too far off the
> existing style and it's largely in agreement with styles I've seen used
> on other projects.
>
> Any objections?

I don't like point 11 at all. The scope of a variable should be obvious
without mangling the name. Leading or trailing underscores increase
noise in my opinion and reduce readability.

I also don't like 75 (& 81 which is more or less the same thing). The
rationale seems weak to me and it reduces readability (in my opinion).

I will be considering invoking points 1 & 2 in these cases!

Perhaps I have bad eyesight, but I also much prefer 4 spaces of
indentation. Maybe that is why 80 chars per line often seems to narrow!