qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ can now support AMQP clients.
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:57:57 GMT
On 10/24/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2006, at 2:08 PM, James Strachan wrote:
>
> > On 10/23/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:
> >> [Sorry if this is a duplicate -- originally sent it Saturday but
> >> haven't seen it show up here.]

> >> it is
> >>
> >> May I ask for a clarification? If your work uses the ActiveMQ wire
> >> format, does that mean that it's non-interoperable with Qpid?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > I think what Hiram means is that it uses the same ActiveMQ plugin
> > interfaces which are used to implement other protocols like OpenWire,
> > Stomp, XMPP (i.e. Transport and WireFormat are interfaces)  - but that
> > it actually uses the AMQP protocol on the wire.
>
> So, by "yes," did you mean "yes, it's non-interoperable" (which is
> what I asked above), or "yes, it's interoperable" ?
>
> >>  In
> >> other words, can a normal Qpid client using the AMQ protocol version
> >
> > Yes - or at least thats the intention. (I've not tried it yet :)
>
> This "yes" seems to contradict your "yes" from above, no?
>
> I'm really not trying to be a pain, but so far responses to these
> questions have been confusing. I'm just trying to make sure we're all
> on the same page.
>
> Given that ActiveMQ probably doesn't provide APIs that correspond to
> AMQ features like exchanges and bindings, how is it that an ActiveMQ
> application can meaningfully interact or fully interoperate with an
> AMQP implementation like Qpid?

We integrated the core of the QPID exchange/binding/queue logic with
ActiveMQ.  So this means all semantics that the QPID broker understood are
preserved.  It also means that the AMQP message are in a seperate messaging
domain from the JMS messages.  Now that everything is integrated and running
together we can figure what is the best approach to merging the messaging
domains.

thanks,

--
Regards,