qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Establishing a PPMC (was Re: Private list)
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 04:53:11 GMT
I'm finally getting back to the PPMC discussion (see below for a
reminder of where we left off)...

Some of you may have read some of the debate about how to set up the
PPMC on the general@incubator list a few weeks ago (if you're a
committer, you really should  be subscribed to that list -- lots you
can learn from even just lurking).  There are still a few opinions on
how to do things, but here is my proposal for this project:

- Each mentor is a member of the PPMC.

- All committers should have the opportunity to be members of the
PPMC, because I believe much of the purpose is to learn how PMCs work.

- Any committer who would rather just limit their participation to
committing code without being involved in broader project issues
should not feel at all obligated to become part of the PPMC.  To be on
a PMC is work on behalf of the Foundation -- not everyone wants to do
that, which is fine.  A PPMC is not quite a PMC, but it's the same
idea.

- Any committer who has not really been participating in the project
should not ask to me part of the PPMC.  I'd suggest such folks spend
some time contributing to the project first.  I would also discourage
people from asking to become part of the PPMC if they aren't expecting
to contribute to the discussions.  I think this is especially
important when the idea is to learn how PMCs work, which is much
easier done when you are participating, rather than just lurking and
occasionally voting.

- As far as process goes, I'd like to just follow Noel's suggestion
below and have the mentors vote in the PPMC members.  As one of the
mentors, I've described how I will vote above.  I'd be interested in
hearing whether the other mentors have concerns or a completely
different idea.  Otherwise, I'd suggest that each committer consider
my comments above and then nominate yourself if you still feel you
want to/should be on the PPMC.

Cliff