qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: pathnames with spaces == bad
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 06:22:11 GMT
On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> I don't agree that spaces are that hard to deal with

C'mon, let's be realistic. Ever see any book by Brian Kernighan or
any other UNIX guru that recommends creating pathnames containing
spaces? No, because there's a reason for that. I guarantee you that
pretty much anyone writing a script of any sort that has to deal with
pathnames will get it wrong for pathnames containing spaces, unless
they are explicitly thinking about pathnames containing spaces every
step of the way. Getting all the necessary quoting right, especially
with scripts calling other scripts, is pretty hard.

> but I agree that
> it should be change. I'm not usually one to create folders with
> spaces. A hazard of using a GUI. If you change it back before the
> morning then the releasesrc build target needs to be updated.

Am changing it now.

thanks,
--steve