qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:41:03 GMT
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 10:40 -0500, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> The .zip files are targeted at the windows community and the .tar.gz files
> are targeted at the linux/unix communities.
> Of course u can use unzip to work with zip files in linux/unix but the
> preference is for .tar.gz.

Understood - I was confused by the fact that the relase-M1.tar.gz
contained both. That would make no sense if it was part of the release
(because you need tar.gz to get to the zips) but I now understand that
it is not, its just a convenience for testers.

Aside: "Convenience for testers" is a red flag for me. If there is
anything inconvenient about downloading, installing and testing the real
kit, then we should fix the kit, not provide a convenience for testers
that won't be available to users. That's not a showstopper though, more
a suggestion for next release.

Cheers,
Alan.