qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Automake build system up and running :)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:41:29 GMT
The automake build system is in, building and passing all tests :)
There is some cleanup left to do and you will get a headache on your
first commit. Check the README for details.

Steve: building on RHEL 4 is probably buggered but probably not hard
to fix. Let me know what you stumble over and I'll help get it working
again. Most likely we'll need to downgrade the autotool versions.

Jim: Some notes & questions:

Please sanity check the README: in particular are the autotool
dependencies complete?

I gather that once bootstrapped, make will take care of re-running
autoconf, automake etc as needed - is that correct?

I had to downgrade autotool versions on fedora 6 with latest updates:
- configure.ac: autoconf 2.60 => 2.59
- Makefile.am automake 1.10 => 1.9.6

I had only one problem possibly related to this: No abs_srcdir and
abs_builddir in Makefiles. Manually added to gen/Makefile.am and
tests/Makefile.am. Autoconf substitutes them but the automake template
doesn't have them.

Building with APR via brutal hacks in the Makefile.am's, should have a
proper configure-based switch (e.g. -with-apr) that tests for the lib
etc.

Things remaining to do:
- generate RPM/SRPM
- run python tests from makefile if present.
- svn ignores for generated files.
- clean gen/* and generated make/config files.
- fix hacks for choosing APR/linux build (get rid of APR in medium term)
- doxygen
- easy selection of debug/release flags.
- fix signal handling in qpidd.cpp
- sundry renaming & cleanup which I might try to slip in during the
chaos.

Philosophical question: I'm a fan of the Single Makefile approach
(http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html). Seems
to me that we could go that way with the autoconf build system, is
there any reason not to? It's not a priority, just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Alan.