qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re : Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:58:53 GMT
On 06/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:
> +1 to maven, which I've been working on for awhile. So far in doing
> the maven work I've been surprised by both 1) the number of
> dependencies, which is much higher than I expected, and 2) the
> dependencies which aren't really legal. The JMS jar is one.

Here is the redistribution clause from the licence for JMS.jar:

2. License to Distribute Software.  In addition to
   the license granted in Section 1 (Software
   Internal Use and Development License Grant) of
   these Supplemental Terms, subject to the terms and
   conditions of this Agreement, including but not
   limited to Section 3 (Java Technology
   Restrictions), Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
   non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
   distribute the Software in binary form only,
   provided that you (i) distribute the Software
   complete and unmodified and only bundled as part
   of your Programs, (ii) do not distribute
   additional software intended to replace any
   component(s) of the Software, (iii) do not remove
   or alter any proprietary legends or notices
   contained in the Software, (iv) only distribute
   the Software subject to a license agreement that
   protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
   contained in this Agreement, and (v) agree to
   defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
   and against any damages, costs, liabilities,
   settlement amounts and/or expenses (including
   attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any
   claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that
   arises or results from the use or distribution of
   any and all Programs and/or Software.

Does the Apache licence violate (iv)?

RG