qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:44:02 GMT
On 15/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:

> Carl, the better question is, "Why would you want do that?"

As an example: Martin and I have been working on enhancements to MINA.
We have submitted the changes to the MINA project (who I should add
are very responsive and open to improvements and suggestions), and
they are currently looking at those changes. One user, who is part of
the AsyncWeb project has tested it and found that throughput doubled
for some of their tests, so it clearly has at least some merit.

However, we don't know for sure when MINA will decide to adopt the
patch. They may have competing priorities for their release.

If we have developed something that we as a group agree improves our
project, should we have to wait for the release cycle of other
projects? What if it is a straightforward but for us critical bug fix?
As some people have mentioned, the Apache release process can be quite
long.

Does Apache have any kind of policy or guidelines for releasing
patches? Does Maven have any support for patches? e.g. can you say
take "M24 plus patches 6432 and 6433"?

> For released software, though, creating dependencies like this would
> be sheer insanity. You'd be generating artifacts that couldn't be
> reproduced.

I don't understand this. If you include an archive of the source
surely it is reproducible? Information indicating the svn revision on
which it is based is surely sufficient to make it clear from where the
source for that dependency is derived?

In an ideal world we would be able to take released versions of all
our dependencies but for some dependencies I don't think this is
feasible. Some dependencies such as MINA have a huge impact on our
software.

I do not believe this is unique to open source projects; I often work
with vendor software where we get special patched versions to use
until the vendor has released an "official" service pack or point
release.

RG