qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we release an M1 with a dependency on a MINA-Snapshot version???
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:04:18 GMT
On 16/11/06, Daniel Kulp <daniel.kulp@iona.com> wrote:

> I would say release with the non-snapshot version (all the tests do pass),

OK the tests may pass (our improvement addresses fairness and
throughput issues) just now but what happens in the case where there
is a relatively serious bug?

I should also say that we have seen cases on our hardware where the
heartbeats do not work properly due to the fairness issue our MINA
patch addresses (heavy writers can result in read starvation).

> but stick the "SNAPSHOT" up on the wiki/web page with a huge disclaimer
> with it that says something like "this fixes problems XYZ, but this is an
> unofficial snapshot that is not an official ASF release.

This is asking our users to make a choice they may not be comfortable
making or feel qualified to make. Surely it is our job to give clear
guidance to our users on what they should run? If we make an release
and simultaneously say "by the way we don't really like that version
and here's a patch" what would they think?

RG