qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:59:38 GMT

> The sun fscontext is fine to include from Sun's point of view:
> " Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
>    non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
>    distribute the Software in binary form only,
>    provided that you (i) distribute the Software
>    complete and unmodified and only bundled as part
>    of your Programs, "
>
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId
>=7110-jndi-1.2.1-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
>
> We may not have the source to include under the ASF license but we can
> include the binary.
>
> Are we not allowed to include non ASF-licensed(or equally permissive)
> software in our release, be that source or binary format?

Martin,

Cliff has a draft page of license "information" at:
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

Of note is that the Sun BCL license (that you are quoting from) is
explicitly listed in the section of "excluded" licenses.   Thus, you
cannot distribute it with Apache software.

I think the problem with the BCL license is the indemnification clauses.
Not sure though.  IANAL

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer