qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r475297 - /incubator/qpid/trunk/qpid/java/broker/src/org/apache/qpid/server/Main.java
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:03:31 GMT
On Wednesday November 15 2006 12:15 pm, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> My appologies I didn't reallise you couldn't pickup the head of mina.
> I thought the snapshot you were using just vanished not the ability to
> get the head. We can of course revert all the mina changes I made but
> it would have been nice for a comment on the JIRA to help me
> understand that making the changes would not help the problem we are
> facing with maven.

From Maven, we CAN grab a SNAPSHOT version of a dependency if they publish
it to a SNAPSHOT repository.   However, that will prevent us from being
able to release M2.   The maven release plugin will flat out refuse to
build if there are SNAPSHOT dependencies.

> Annoying as it is there are a number of issues with mina 1.0.0 which
> the team are aware of and are trying to get a 1.0.1 release out soon.
> they have started the process but need to get their maven building
> their artifacts correctly to suit the release process. (Something I'm
> sure we could all work together to sort.)
>
> Is it not possible to use the snapshot we currently have in our
> repository and distribute that in our release?

Not for maven, no.    It really must be in a public repository.   If you
need bugs fixed or other enhancements, you need to work with that other
project to get them to release a new version or patch or whatever and get
it publicly available.

> There will hopefully be some improvements to mina before M2 that will
> improve the performance of our IO layer, but it is unlikely that they
> will be in an official release at that point. Will we be unable to use
> thse items?

No, not for M2.

It's exteremely  important to only be using RELEASED versions of other
artifacts, especially other Apache artifacts.   That is actually one of
the nicest things (IMO) about maven is that it actually enforces at
release time that you aren't using some random SNAPSHOT that kills
reproducability.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer