qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:50:32 GMT

Steven,

On Wednesday November 15 2006 3:31 pm, Steven Shaw wrote:
> On 15/11/06, Daniel Kulp <daniel.kulp@iona.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it is possible, but it's not easy and usually would require
> > every developer to do extra steps prior to building.   As I mentioned
> > before, it will also make it very hard to work with other projects
> > like Tuscany and CXF as you then start requiring all of their
> > developers to do the same and then all the projects that rely on them
> > also require it, etc... It's pretty much viral in nature.
>
> I see the problem. It is possible for us to, instead of pushing our
> mina and fscontext jars into a maven repository, to have Maven
> download them from SVN instead?

Well, two answers:
1) fscontext - definitely not.  It's not even allowed in SVN.

2) Others - it's possible, but infrastructure will scream at us as that
will spike the load on the already overloaded SVN server.   You could add
a "repository" entry into the pom, but when you do that, maven will
always check there before central for all the dependencies.  It's a lot
of extra HTTP traffic to the svn server.

It still wouldn't solve the problem that it's a snapshot that we don't
have any business "releasing".

You have to keep in mind, one of the main objectives of maven is to not
only make it easy for you to grab other projects, but also promote and
help other projects grab you.   Thus, you kind of have to be careful what
you do.    They may not want to allow (or be allowed to have) any sort of
snapshot dependencies.   For example, anyone that uses the maven release
plugin to do releases cannot have any snapshot dependencies anywhere.

Anyway, maven pretty much enforces a bunch of general "best practice"
rules that help projects work together and build their communities.
That's a good thing.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer