qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:13:28 GMT

On Thursday November 16 2006 10:03 am, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Yep.  Basically, we would create a pom.xml that accurate describes the
> jar.   The pom would have to include the licenses section, URL, proper
> dependencies (if any) and stuff like that.     You would then zip up
> the pom.xml, the jar, and preferrably a sources jar and javadoc jar
> (more on that in a sec),

Ooopss.    Forgot to expand on the sources/javadoc jar things....

One of the nicest things about the maven builds it that it can
automatically create project setups for various IDE's like Eclipse and
Intellij.    Based on information in the poms, maven can create the
project with all the dependencies and such all set.   Thus, in your IDE,
you use the exact same versions of stuff that maven is using.

The other nice thing it does is IF the sources jars are available in the
maven repository, it will download the sources jar and wire it into the
IDE along with the dependent jar.   In eclipse, this allows debugging
right into the dependent code.   It also will use that for the popup
contextual help, etc...  If the sources jar isn't there, it then checks
for a javadoc jar.   That will at least give you the javadoc style
contextual help within the IDE.   Doesn't help with debugging.

Basically, for eclipse, you just run:
mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true

and it will create the eclipse artifacts that are needed.
(.classpath, .project, etc...) and get things all wired together.   From
eclipse, you then just "import" the generated projects.

I'm not an IntelliJ/IDEA user, but it supposedly works very similarly.
Just run "mvn idea:idea" and that generates the IDEA iml/ipr/iws files.
I don't know much about it other than several of the Tuscany folks swear
by by it.   (I'm more of an eclipse person)

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer