qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:44:17 GMT
On Thursday November 16 2006 10:23 am, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > Most of the "legal mumbo jumbo" is to help Carlos.    Carlos has a
> > script that runs on the maven upload things.   If all the legal stuff
> > is met, the script runs automatically and he doesn't have to do
> > anything.   If the script cannot verify things through the automatic
> > routines (example: com.sun.xyz  not mapping to http://xyz.sun.com),
> > then Carlos needs to do a bit of manual work to verify things are
> > really there.
>
> Ok, it sounded like there might be policy problems in getting someone
> else's project into a repository but from this it sounds like there
> shouldn't be(?).

Not as long as the license is one of our accepted ones.    There CAN be a
problem with other apache projects.    If a non-apache person asks for an
apache thing to be added, that's actually OK.  (wink, wink... ;-)
However, since we're all apache people, we kind of have to follow the
apache rules and say only the PMC's of that project have the authority to
do that.     That said, it's VERY easy for the apache projects to do it
if their PMC's want to.   Apache is a sync partner.   All the other
project would have to do is get their artifacts uploaded
into /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository and it will
automatically sync to central within 24 hours.     No JIRA things need to
be filed, no waiting for Carlos, etc...

> > That all said, it can take a couple days (I think Carlos processes
> > stuff twice a week).   Thus, if you are interested in using that, it
> > might be best to start getting it uploaded sooner wrather than later.
>
> I don't know whether or not we will use that project. I just wanted to
> check that if we did, or if we could use another similar project, that
> we wouldn't have problems due to it not already being 'mavenised'.
>
> It sounds like it would perhaps mean a bit extra effort, but would not
> be a major barrier to use.

It's a little bit more work for us.   However, it removes the work for
everyone else that may want to use it as well as anyone that wants to
also integrate Qpid into their projects.   Ideally, we would then give
the pom.xml back to the project and in the future, they could handle it
themselves.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer