qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Can we release an M1 with a dependency on a MINA-Snapshot version???
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:12:46 GMT

From my standpoint, I will vote -1 (non-binding) on the general@incubator
list (as well as here) for a release with a SNAPSHOT of an Apache
project.

Allowed by the license or not, I don't think the ASF should do anything to
promote having unofficial versions of ASF artifacts being distributed
around under the guise of another "release".   I think that puts the ASF
in a bad possition.   The ASF release processes are there to protect the
ASF.   This basically circumvents it.

If JPMC or RedHat or IONA or someone wants to create a release with that
snapshot, sure.   The license will definitely let them.   But from an ASF
standpoint, I don't think WE want to do it.

I would say release with the non-snapshot version (all the tests do pass),
but stick the "SNAPSHOT" up on the wiki/web page with a huge disclaimer
with it that says something like "this fixes problems XYZ, but this is an
unofficial snapshot that is not an official ASF release.   It may cause
other issues. blah blah blah"   Even better would be to point to the MINA
website if they have a nightly snapshot or something available.   Help
drive some traffic there.

I suppose all that legal stuff could go in the NOTICES file, but I'm still
very uncomfortable with it from an ASF standpoint.  (caveat being I'm not
an ASF member, but we still need look out for it as an ASF project)

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer