qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: IRC, IM, etc.
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:49:30 GMT
Steve Vinoski wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> From informal discussion, IRC, IM etc this morning that I want to
>> reflect back onto the list  some of the informal comments. From these
>> watercooler discussion it is clear to me that we don't have anyone
>> with deep maven experience which is creating unease.
>
> A point of order: having these offline discussions is not the way
> things are supposed to happen. Reflecting them back to this list does
> not make it right. You're having discussions about maven work without
> inviting anyone with maven knowledge to the table.
Not true.
> and then implicitly forcing decisions based on those discussions back
> onto this list.
Not true.

> Please keep important issues like this off IRC, IM, and such, and in
> this mailing list, so that we can all participate.

... the key is that no business is conducted or decisions are made off
the list. however if I walk into you in a pub or speak to someone in a
cafeteria you can be sure we will talk. For example you and I IM every
now and again, and you can IRC to the asfinfra team....

To this end, I head some concerns from others, and brought this straight
back to the list. I hope that you will do the same. Bringing items to
the list so that we can have an open public list discussion is the right
way to do it (which is what is current happening on the list on the
maven topic), and not to pretend that no-one ever speaks to anyone
else.  I wrote a similar mail when I noted your concerns about trying to
get maven done with all the changes in the tests, to check group
consensus to merge the test changes directly on main-line, and yes you
and I IM'ed at bit that morning - the discussion to open a window for
maven was however discussed on the list.

To expect that someone will not IM/IRC someone they know to ask a
question is absurd. The key is what you say above: ---> that no project
decisions are happening off list <--

This is exactly why I wrote the mail I did on the maven topic on the list,

regards,
Carl.