qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:01:49 GMT
Steve Vinoski wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>

>> Dan,
>>
>> I get all that.. can you provide feedback on Gordon question: "Are
>> you saying it is not possible for maven to be used to build a release
>> that includes any jar file that is not published to a public maven
>> repository? "
>
> Carl, the better question is, "Why would you want do that?"
>
> During debug or development, grabbing new stuff and trying it out
> isn't an issue. If maven can't download something, it will tell you,
> and will even tell you, if you have the file on hand, how to install
> it into your own local repository.
>
> For released software, though, creating dependencies like this would
> be sheer insanity. You'd be generating artifacts that couldn't be
> reproduced.

You missed the question. the question is what is the best way to include
dependencies that are not built with maven. and don't tell me I don't
need that.

Possible answers, don't know, can't, download it locally, etc...

What is the recommended way / best practice for maven? if you don't know
I can IRC the maven guys directly as I have done previously.

Regards,
Carl.