qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Maven and artifacts....
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:23:52 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Gordon,
>
> On Thursday November 16 2006 4:26 am, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> Can we put third party artifacts (whose license is acceptable to ASF)
>> into a maven repository?
>>
>> E.g. if we wanted to use evs4j for clustering
>> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/evs4j/, apache license 2.0), can we
>> upload that to a maven repository so we can use it as a dependency for
>> qpid? Could we use net.freshmeat.evs4j as the group id?
>
> Yep.  Basically, we would create a pom.xml that accurate describes the
> jar.   The pom would have to include the licenses section, URL, proper
> dependencies (if any) and stuff like that.     You would then zip up the
> pom.xml, the jar, and preferrably a sources jar and javadoc jar (more on
> that in a sec), stick the zip on a public HTML site (your apache
> ~/public_html dir works), and create a MAVENUPLOAD jira request pointing
> at it.

Great, thanks again for the clarification.

> Most of the "legal mumbo jumbo" is to help Carlos.    Carlos has a script
> that runs on the maven upload things.   If all the legal stuff is met,
> the script runs automatically and he doesn't have to do anything.   If
> the script cannot verify things through the automatic routines (example:
> com.sun.xyz  not mapping to http://xyz.sun.com), then Carlos needs to do
> a bit of manual work to verify things are really there.

Ok, it sounded like there might be policy problems in getting someone
else's project into a repository but from this it sounds like there
shouldn't be(?).

> That all said, it can take a couple days (I think Carlos processes stuff
> twice a week).   Thus, if you are interested in using that, it might be
> best to start getting it uploaded sooner wrather than later.

I don't know whether or not we will use that project. I just wanted to
check that if we did, or if we could use another similar project, that
we wouldn't have problems due to it not already being 'mavenised'.

It sounds like it would perhaps mean a bit extra effort, but would not
be a major barrier to use.