qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: [java] client tests hanging
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 06:43:00 GMT
On Nov 9, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> - Reorganised unit tests to test.unit
>    + This allows ant build system to show what is being built and
> allow easier detection of failure

BTW, despite the reorganization of the unit tests earlier this week,
the client tests still suffer a fundamental flaw: they depend on test
classes under the broker directory. In general, unit tests, for
purposes of isolation, should have as few dependencies as possible,
so this arrangement is less than ideal. It's also specifically bad
from a maven POV because by default maven builds each subproject's
unit tests separately. Such isolation enforcement via standardized
project directory structure is another nice feature of maven.

The client org.apache.qpid.test.unit.ack.DisconnectAndRedeliverTest
class appears to be a big offender in this regard, for example. This
is one of the issues that's been giving me fits on the maven branch.
Over there, I've been trying to move tests that aren't really unit
tests out of the subproject test subdirectories and into a new top-
level subproject under qpid/java called systests. The unannounced
test reorganizations this week have not helped the maven work,
because it means I have to pick up the new structure from the trunk
and get it over on the branch, determine yet again which tests are
actual unit tests and which aren't, and try again to move everything
to where it needs to be. Please don't do any more moves in the trunk
like that for now. Rather, if you'd like to help move things around,
let's do so on the maven branch, as this issue is really the only
blocker remaining to having maven working.

thanks,
--steve