qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: pathnames with spaces == bad
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:25:12 GMT

On Nov 9, 2006, at 4:21 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:

> On 09/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
>> > I don't agree that spaces are that hard to deal with
>>
>> C'mon, let's be realistic. Ever see any book by Brian Kernighan or
>> any other UNIX guru that recommends creating pathnames containing
>> spaces? No, because there's a reason for that. I guarantee you that
>> pretty much anyone writing a script of any sort that has to deal with
>> pathnames will get it wrong for pathnames containing spaces, unless
>> they are explicitly thinking about pathnames containing spaces every
>> step of the way. Getting all the necessary quoting right, especially
>> with scripts calling other scripts, is pretty hard.
>
> I'd love to live in a world where Unixes ruled but we are not there
> yet. Simply ignoring spaces in path names is what causes "other" tools
> and scripts not to handle them correctly. While I'm sure most of us
> develop on a Linux box some of us are not that fortunate. We need to
> be aware of the issue that spaces cause and try and minimise their
> impact. See QPID-68 which will probably affect quite a lot of our
> users of our software. Deciding not to have any spaces in our source
> tree won't help our users that have spaces in the path to our
> checkout. We can't impose path requirements on our users.

I *strongly* agree that our code should handle pathnames containing
spaces -- I've never ever argued to the contrary -- but sticking
spaces into random pathnames in our source tree won't ensure that. If
we want to make sure the code handles pathnames containing spaces,
then we write unit tests and system tests to make sure. Same goes for
I18N and L10N.

For the record, I don't live in a UNIX-only world. On my desk I have
two Macs each running OS X, a RH Linux box which also runs Windows
2000 in a VM, and all around me are numerous flavors of Solaris, HP-
UX, Irix, Tru64, etc. The software I help develop for my employer
runs on embedded systems, mainframes, and pretty much everything in
between.

--steve