qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pathnames with spaces == bad
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:21:46 GMT
On 09/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> > I don't agree that spaces are that hard to deal with
>
> C'mon, let's be realistic. Ever see any book by Brian Kernighan or
> any other UNIX guru that recommends creating pathnames containing
> spaces? No, because there's a reason for that. I guarantee you that
> pretty much anyone writing a script of any sort that has to deal with
> pathnames will get it wrong for pathnames containing spaces, unless
> they are explicitly thinking about pathnames containing spaces every
> step of the way. Getting all the necessary quoting right, especially
> with scripts calling other scripts, is pretty hard.

I'd love to live in a world where Unixes ruled but we are not there
yet. Simply ignoring spaces in path names is what causes "other" tools
and scripts not to handle them correctly. While I'm sure most of us
develop on a Linux box some of us are not that fortunate. We need to
be aware of the issue that spaces cause and try and minimise their
impact. See QPID-68 which will probably affect quite a lot of our
users of our software. Deciding not to have any spaces in our source
tree won't help our users that have spaces in the path to our
checkout. We can't impose path requirements on our users.

> > but I agree that
> > it should be change. I'm not usually one to create folders with
> > spaces. A hazard of using a GUI. If you change it back before the
> > morning then the releasesrc build target needs to be updated.
>
> Am changing it now.

Cheers
Martin

--