qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: pathnames with spaces == bad
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 07:05:16 GMT
On Nov 9, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Steven Shaw wrote:
> I'd personally prefer to see those release-doc files up at the root of
> the tree (but I can see the other point of view that says that my
> position makes the root "untidy"). It does seem pretty typical to see
> them at the top of the tree...
>
> We have had some Ant "problems" with spaces and shell scripts are
> notoriously badly written, suffering from problems with spaces in
> directory names and file names. I like to see developers learning to
> deal with those issues in shell scripts ... but perhaps I'm just a
> sadist :).

Well, as I implied in an earlier message, spaces are not hard to deal
with in single scripts. It's when you start piping things together or
having scripts calling other scripts via interim shells that can make
life miserable when spaces are present in pathnames. Too many scripts
and tools just don't handle them correctly, and sometimes there just
aren't enough quotes to go around when you're dealing with layers of
stuff.

> In your case, Steve - wondering if you have experienced problems with
> Maven and spaces in directories/files? or is this more of a general
> preventative/defensive measure?

No, I didn't see any maven issues with that directory, as on the
maven branch I'm still working through all the test-related commits
that happened over the past few days. We noticed this pathname space
issue through a script that one of my colleagues was running. We
fixed the script, but removing the space is indeed just a
preventative/defensive measure. No use making things harder than they
need to be!

--steve