qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Re : Dependencies and how it's going to affect the release
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:58:19 GMT
+1 to maven, which I've been working on for awhile. So far in doing
the maven work I've been surprised by both 1) the number of
dependencies, which is much higher than I expected, and 2) the
dependencies which aren't really legal. The JMS jar is one. Another
is the Sun fscontext stuff, which AIUI is used only for testing, but
is seemingly unavailable from any maven repository as far as I can
see. As Rajith says, managing these dependencies will be a big part
of getting M1 right.

The main thing that's been killing me as far as maven goes are the
test areas. They're not organized well, have dependencies between
them, and as I've pointed out before, they mix unit tests, system
tests, and performance tests. I also ran into the junit3 vs. junit4
issue with the maven surefire plugin, but have managed to get some of
the tests working with junit4 and the maven antrun plugin. If the
test areas were in better shape, the maven work would have been
finished weeks ago.

I've been committing to the maven branch for a few weeks now, but
obviously it still needs work. Anyone can take a look at it if they
like, obviously. I'm currently working on ensuring that the maven
branch has the latest changes from trunk, so that I'm sure I'm not
chasing test failures that are already fixed. Meanwhile, if anyone
else wants to pitch in on the maven work, I'd be glad for the help.

--steve