qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r475297 - /incubator/qpid/trunk/qpid/java/broker/src/org/apache/qpid/server/Main.java
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:01:03 GMT
On Nov 15, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Marnie McCormack wrote:

> IIRC when Steve initially proposed introducing maven to the project
> we had
> some debate, but it seems like there might be limitations/constraints
> imposed that we didn't understand (as a group).

As the other email thread on maven has already mentioned, these
limitations exist regardless of maven, I believe. Maven simply
enforces them.

> I can also see, from Daniel's posts, that other projects who use
> maven would
> like us to follow suit as it'll make their lives easier.

Very much so.

> So, there are pros & cons. What I think would be very helpful
> though (as
> others have indicated) is a list of the things we can't do with
> maven (that
> might impact us) ? We can then agree a way round/accept the
> limitation/other
> as appropriate.
>
> I know there have been a few items discussed in previous threads,
> and I'm
> not very clear on where these things are at e.g. resolved, tricky but
> fixable or really not possible.
>
> So, for example, javadoc inclusion, mina snapshot, etc.

Javadoc is not an issue for maven, i.e., it can easily be done. I
didn't include it yet because I question its value as we currently
implement it. Simply javadoc'ing every class is pointless. What needs
to be javadoc'ed are the classes that users actually use. Tuscany,
CXF, and Yoko do this by building an API jar, which they then javadoc.

The mina snapshot is an issue, as the other email thread is currently
exploring. There is no mina 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT available in the maven
repositories anymore, but I don't know the reason for that. Only the
mina team does. But as I've said, 1.0.0 works for us, and that's the
dependency the mvn branch poms specify.

None of the issues Martin raised are a big deal at all with respect
to maven. I was prepared to fix them all yesterday, in fact.

> One way to do make where we are with maven clear would be to raise
> JIRAs for
> the outstanding items. That way we can all see where we are, and
> discuss
> anything truly significant.

Can do, but I don't think it makes sense to do that unless it's on
trunk.

> It may be that you've already been able to resolve the items on
> Martin's
> list Steve ? No time pressure from my perspective, just a sense
> that we're
> perhaps a bit muddy at the moment.

Well, yesterday I spent most of the day arguing in email. Once I saw
the writing on the wall regarding maven and M1, I backed off
aggressively working on it so I could catch up on other stuff.

> Also Steve - if you could still do with a hand, JIRAs would be a
> good way to
> get others involved now that M1 is pretty much done ?

Yep, as soon as maven is on trunk. I guess I should just merge it.

--steve