qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we release an M1 with a dependency on a MINA-Snapshot version???
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:31:08 GMT
On 11/16/06, John O'Hara <john.r.ohara@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what we need -- some mentor time!
>
> We can use any code (a license is a license is a license).
> The question is whether the Incubator PMC will allow it to become M1?
>
> Cliff, James, Paul - any opinion?
>
> In a nutshell: we have a "fix" for MINA that Qpid depends on, but has not
> yet been adopted by a released MINA version.
> We want to "Release early and often" becuase the user base is building and
> they'd like some more fixed targets....
>
> Can Qpid still release an M1?
>
> John
>
> On 16/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@iona.com> wrote:

> > > With Apache licensed software, we can use any checked in code that
> > > bears the
> > > license.
> >
> > Chapter and verse, please. We've had a number of people over the past
> > few days assert what the "real" rules are, and now you've just added
> > another. These assertions have greatly differed. If I were the M1
> > release manager, I would want to see an official Apache document that
> > clearly states what's possible in this regard.
> >
> > I am surprised that our mentors haven't chimed in yet.

There is definitely no official policy describing what you're talking about.

Have qpid committers discussed this with the mina folks yet?  I would
think that's the first step if not already done.  The ideal thing
would be that you all are able to help mina put out the release you
need.

There are definitely no legal problems with this, as long as the PMC
(Incubator PMC, but first with the qpid PPMC) takes responsibility for
what they are releasing.  By taking responsibility, I mean being as
sure about the legal issues of the mina code as you are about your own
code; I also mean taking responsibility for dealing with any incompat
issues caused by the snapshot and helping to get this stuff merged
back together.

I bet there are other ASF projects wondering about the same issue; so
I might raise a thread on the incubator general list to see if we can
get some consensus there.

Cliff