qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Automake build system up and running :)
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:35:59 GMT
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 15:33 +0000, Steven Shaw wrote:
> On 04/12/06, Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
> > I think you said Debian.  If so, you can safely use apt preferences
> > (see man apt_preferences) to get automake, autoconf, and libtool from
> > "unstable", which btw, doesn't deserve that name any more.
>
> Does that mean that it will work now with autoconf >2.59 ?

It was originally working with 2.60, I downgraded to 2.59 because that's
the latest on fedora 6. I've no objection to downgrading further, e.g.
for RHEL 4. I don't know why you would be having trouble with a higher
version though.

> Perhaps you could post the ./configure script. That's all I need. Or
> perhaps commit it to svn under a sneaky name like "configure.sneaky".

What do you think Jim? My instinct is to never commit generated files,
but if this is likely to get in the way of contributors then perhaps we
should consider it. We could put them under etc/ and have ./bootstrap
copy them into the correct places if the auto-stuff fails. Have to be
careful to keep them up to date of course or they'll be more of a
hindrance than a help, which is why I don't like to commit generated
files.

Cheers,
Alan.