qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML longstr mapping
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:08:42 GMT
On 20/12/06, Kim van der Riet <kim.vdriet@redhat.com> wrote:

> If we keep String, then
> String.getBytes() produces byte[], and
> new String(byte[]) gets a String.
>
> Will this work for security tokens? I am uncertain of the integrity of
> this conversion (but a test will soon prove it).

String.getBytes() decodes using the platform default encoding, which
will probably work for most platforms but would almost certainly break
if there is a platform with UTF-8 as the default encoding (although I
am not aware of any).

> Keeping String will open up general long strings > 256 chars as type
> String, or *must* we keep this byte[]? Your call. I *thought* we had
> gone over these types early in the project... but I can't find it.

Do we have any cases where we need to send a true "long string"? I
think having it as a byte array makes sense for the current cases and
I think it was intended to be a byte array, despite the spec's odd
choice of name.

RG