qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Shaw" <stes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automake build system up and running :)
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:49:43 GMT
I'm trying to generate a ./configure script. Here's what happens with aclocal:

---
$ /usr/bin/aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

Copyright (C) 1999, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
$ /usr/bin/aclocal -I m4
aclocal: configure.ac: 24: macro `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' not found in library
---

So I upgraded my automake to 1.9.6 and aclocal appears to complete successfully:

---
$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.6
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>

$ aclocal -I m4
---

I added "set -x" to bootstrap. I also installed autoconf 2.59. I get
this from bootstrap:

---
$ ./bootstrap
+ aclocal -I m4
+ autoheader
+ libtoolize --automake
+ cd tests
+ rm -f gen.mk
+ perl -ne /^include / or print Makefile.am
+ pwd
+ dirname /home/steve/External/Projects/qpid-trunk/cpp/tests
+ make -f - abs_srcdir=/home/steve/External/Projects/qpid-trunk/cpp gen.mk
(                                       \
          for i in client_test echo_service topic_listener
topic_publisher; do          \
            echo ${i}_SOURCES = $i.cpp; \
            echo ${i}_LDADD = '$(lib_client) $(lib_common) $(extra_libs)'; \
          done;                                 \
          libs=;                                \
          for i in AccumulatedAckTest ChannelTest ConfigurationTest
ExchangeTest HeadersExchangeTest InMemoryContentTest
LazyLoadedContentTest MessageBuilderTest MessageTest QueueRegistryTest
QueueTest TopicExchangeTest TxAckTest TxBufferTest TxPublishTest
ValueTest BodyHandlerTest FieldTableTest FramingTest HeaderTest
ExceptionTest; do          \
            libs="$libs ${i}.la";               \
            echo ${i}_la_SOURCES = $i.cpp;      \
            echo ${i}_la_LIBADD = '$(lib_common)';                      \
            echo ${i}_la_LIBADD += '$(lib_broker) $(extra_libs)';       \
            echo ${i}_la_LDFLAGS = "-module -rpath `pwd`";      \
          done;                                 \
          echo "check_LTLIBRARIES =$libs";      \
        )                                       \
        > gen.mk-t
mv gen.mk-t gen.mk
+ automake
lib/broker/Makefile.am:9: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/broker/Makefile.am:9:
lib/broker/Makefile.am:9: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/broker/Makefile.am:9: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.
lib/client/Makefile.am:9: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/client/Makefile.am:9:
lib/client/Makefile.am:9: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/client/Makefile.am:9: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.
lib/common/Makefile.am:43: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/common/Makefile.am:43:
lib/common/Makefile.am:43: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/common/Makefile.am:43: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.
tests/gen.mk:93: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
tests/gen.mk:93:
tests/gen.mk:93: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
tests/gen.mk:93: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
tests/Makefile.am:80:   `tests/gen.mk' included from here
---

If I try "autoconf" by itself I get the following:

---
$ /usr/bin/autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ /usr/bin/autoconf
configure.ac:62: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ autoconf
configure.ac:62: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
$
---

i.e. autoconf 2.60 and 2.59 don't seem to work. They don't have
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL defined.

So there seems to be a problem with libtool. Do I need a particular
version installed to make autoconf happy?

This is my libtool version:
---
$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 Debian 1.5.22-4 (1.1220.2.365
2005/12/18 22:14:06)

---

Cheers,
Steve.