qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Shaw" <stes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automake build system up and running :)
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:38:39 GMT
On 04/12/06, Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
>   http://et.redhat.com/~meyering/qpid-0.1.tar.bz2

Thanks for making this src tarball. I've had better success with it.
Here's the story:

Oh btw - I hadn't see pkg-config before. I like it. Better than having
blah-config scripts in your PATH. It would be good to include a
qpid.pc file in the src tarball.

I set up APR like so:

  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=~/local/apr-1.2.7/lib/pkgconfig

Since 1.11.4 doesn't have a pkg-config file, I downloaded cppunit-1.11.6.

  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=~/local/cppunit-1.11.6/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Configure doesn't check for boost. I told it were mine was:

   export CXXFLAGS="-I$HOME/local/boost-1.33.1/include/boost-1_33_1"

I created a directory structure which included amqp-8.0.xml. It went
something like:

   $ mkdir -p x/qpid
   $ mkdir x/qpid/specs
   $ cp amqp-8.0.xml x/qpid/specs
   $ mv qpid-0.1 x/qpid/cpp
   $ cd x/qpid/cpp
   $ ./configure --prefix ~/local/qpid-0.1

I noticed that the generated header files are included in the src
tarball so I'm not sure why it wanted to access the AMQP specification
but this got me past that hurdle.

Note that I no longer needed to use GNU Make 3.80. My RHEL3 box has
GNU Make3.79.1 which works fine now :).

There's a certain subset of the tests that I have been including in a
client-only binary distribution. Perhaps qpid-cpp developers would
consider having those in an examples directory and installed into
$prefix/examples via 'make install'. Those are:

    client_test.cpp
    echo_service.cpp
    topic_listener.cpp
    topic_publisher.cpp

They used to be in a test/client directory but now are contained in
the tests directory along with other cppunit-based tests. Also a file
called Makefile.cppunit.examples has been removed. That was a file I
included in the qpid-cpp-client binary distribution. The idea is to
get users quickly started building the examples. It need more thought
as it hard-coded the locations of boost and APR dependencies. Maybe it
should be using autotools too!

Cheers,
Steve.